Sunday, July 24, 2011

Logistics

Collected the parts needed to zeroset the heads, new tins etc. The Crank needs a check and I needed to adjust (change) the drive shaft in order to correct a spline length issue.  C´s shop is very full and transportation of disassembled engines is not necessarily easy, so i made a prototype cabinet on rollers with a detachable undercarriage. Easier said then done as always, some of the oak blocks had to get added functionality like the rear engine mount got hinges to allow the cases to rotate down in the cutout. The basic cabinet was so flimsy that I had to weld some square tubing to the undercarriage otherwize it would not have been possible to detach without it falling apart. Took  pictures before it was finished and it actually turned out allright.
We have also ordered the cases and crank etc. for the new engine, so the cabinet will actually stay at Cala´s shop while the components for the new engine gets completed. 


Thursday, July 14, 2011

Waiting and a Movie

Ordered Tins a couple of weeks ago and I´m patiently waiting for the package. Meanwhile you can watch a serious movie in which I´m racing against a legendary ironhead "Sprutster" and I really think he is running on Jack D. and he is good, , this is the run last year where i realized my kickstand came out so I held on to the rotation and landed nice and soft...

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Preparations

Received the Heads back from UCC where Ronna in master fashion prepared and TIG welded the material required to fill the dimples, he also cleaned out the mysterious fillings between the seats on both heads (hard soldered) and filled that as well. After some reasoning and analysis toghether with experience it turned out that the FHP Castings are weldable, hence I turned away from trying powder welding and it came out very nicely. So next step was heading to the holy grail of restorations and Cala´s High Performance, and we had a great day and a half  (and a great lunch too), finishing fixtures which would accept both NOS heads with Tins installed as well as these heads which caused some adjustments to the height and location in the Sunnen machine having an added straight exhaust tube.  The fixture required for the lathe was also cleaned up. Cala`s  Machining capability and absolute requirements for preregusites in the set ups, fixturing and dimensional control is what´s needed restoring these one offs, New tins are on the way and we are looking at installing as original with the guide holding the tin, but one step at a time and now it´s machining, Guides, Seats, Valves ......(the bottom picture is the ´rear head from "Mother", the other pic´s are a pair of original).

Reception

Reception
I.m a gasoline molecule on my way to work....

Mystery Oil.........

Mystery Oil.........
Just a spoonful to the assembly lube.

Remote Starter

Remote Starter